středa 6. dubna 2016

Lenovo ThinkPad E550 - remapping the PrtSc key to Context menu

When using laptops, I always prefer the "Right click / context menu", trying to avoid the touchpad and its "right click" button.

Why?
In general, touchpads are not comfortable. From all laptops I've ever had, the Lenovo E550 touchpad is not an exception. It is a bit better than the terrible thing on HP EliteBook 2570p, but worse than my lovely old FSC Lifebook S7110 (the best touchpad I have ever had?).

The problem with touchpad right button is that when I try to avoid the touchpad as much as I can, my mouse cursor is always sitting on a wrong spot. So when I click the touchpad right button, I get a wrong context menu.

This problem is easily solved by using the keyboard "Right click / context menu" key.
 
Unfortunatelly, Lenovo E550 keyboard has no "Right click / context menu" key - see the layout:
Thinkpad E550 keyboard
ThinkPad E550 keyboard layout
Instead of the "Right click / context menu", there is the "PrtSc" key.

I was looking for a way to remap the PrtSc to "Context menu" key, found this tutorial and here is my version:

Remapping the PrtSc to Context menu using SharpKeys
With this, PrtSc key works as "Context menu" and the Print screen function is available on the "Web home" key, which I would never use anyway.

Note: at first, I tried to map Print screen to the "Padlock / screenlock" key, but its scan code is "Left windows + L" and I could not find a way to remap this - no time for experiments, sorry.

The resulting registry content is following:

Registry after remapping the keys (shown by KeyTweak)

Žádné komentáře: